Monday, October 15, 2007

Oktoberfest

I never would have thought that it would be hard to find an internet cafe in the USA... but it is bloody difficult! I have finally got access to a FREE internet at the hotel we are in, in Amarillo, Texas, so I can post my belated Oktoberfest and New York blogs. My Texas post will come in about a week (hopefully).
As you can see Oktoberfest is not just a crazy beer drinking festival - it is also a dressing up festival! I bought a dirndle (very hard to choose the colour and style, there are so many to choose from) and Chris bought some lederhosen. Before you think that we are just crazy, have a look at the people in the background of my photos (click on them to enlarge them) and you can see that most people wear Tracht (traditional clothes) to Oktoberfest. Walking around Munich during Oktoberfest you can see lots of people riding their bikes and walking around dressed like this.
In our last week in Munich our friends Brody (above) and Ron (below), joined us so we had lots of fun going to Oktoberfest. In these pictures we are in the Nymphenburg Sekt (Champagne) tent. Oktoberfest is basically like a giant Easter Show with rides and stuff, but also with about 20 GIANT tents packed full of people drinking beer and eating, dancing and singing to bands that play inside them. To get a table at a tent you need to make a reservation months in advance, something that we didn't do, so it was pretty hard to get in. This tent was much quieter than some other ones and we got this little table to use.
We were on the 1st floor, but below us were different bands and more tables as you can see. Here is the band playing while standing on tables. It is a great atmosphere.

We had a fantastic time, although I really did not feel very well the day after a big night! You see so many people asleep (read: passed out drunk) around the grounds and the city, just slouched against a wall. Beer is mainly served in 1 litre steins so it is pretty easy to get completely trashed.
I was really sad to be leaving Munich, I really loved living there and the lifestyle was so fun. I will especially miss riding my bike around everywhere, even in my dirndle after a few too many.

No comments: