Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Best Of post.

I remember saying ages ago that would make a post with all my pics of the best and worst things. I should really have done this when I was still away so I could remember everything. Oh well, I will do my best.

Best food: Always important to me. If the food was bad there was a good chance I hated the whole place! USA was great after Europe because there was a little thing called VARIETY! I loved being able to get whatever I wanted. Following that, Dubai. Mmmm, cheap Lebanese food everywhere. Yum!

Worst food: Turkey. Horrible kebabs and dried out corn was all I found in 3 weeks. I just wanted to leave asap.

Friendliest people: Turkey. We couldn't figure out what was happening with people just coming up for a chat and not trying to con us into buying anything. Greece, Germany, USA and Italy come a close second though.

Most unfriendly people: Russia. I suppose not many people spoke English, but even the hotel staff (at the most expensive hotel of our entire trip) acted like we were scum.

Most fun: Munich was great, Oktoberfest was great, the people were lovely. I loved Munich. Riding around on our bikes everyday was wonderful.

Least fun: Antalya, Turkey. When our airconditioning broke and it was sooo hot and humid and drinking the water gave me diarrhoea for 4 days. Worst part of our trip.

Most amazing place: I thought Athens was amazing coming from Australia to such an old and historic city. St Petersburg was amazing too in the grandeur and size of the place. Cappadocia, Turkey was definately amazing. The Vatican was amazing too, St Peters is huge!

Least amazing place: Los Angeles. I suppose I was amazed that I was such a dump, but really, I expected a lot more from such a famous city.

Most beautiful place: Lauterbrunnen. Like a fairy tale. We'd love to come back for a few weeks and act like hard core Euros and do nordic walking.

Least beautiful place: L.A.

Best experience: There are a few here. Hot air ballooning in Cappadocia was great, riding a mule into the Grand Canyon, cruising down the Canal du Midi in France was lovely, shopping at the tracht shops for our dirndl and lederhosen was exciting, seeing bison in Yellowstone was great too.

Worst experience: Breaking my foot in Mykonos and hobbling around for weeks afterwards. Watch those steps! Sleepless nights in Florence with a plague of mosquitos and no air con was possibly worse though. Mixing booze and medication in Belgium.

What I loved most about travelling: Not being bored ever and seeing so many things that I will having with me for the rest of my life.

What I liked least about travelling: Wandering the streets all the time searching for food was annoying, we have loved being home and being able to go the supermarket and cook things! Also, having to always rummage through my bad to find things.

One thing that suprised me in a good way: Not all Americans are obese.

One thing that surprised me in a bad way: So many Euros have a phobia of cold (icy cold) drinks! WTF! So many times I was so hot and all I wanted was a freezing cold coke, or water or ANYTHING and despite looking everywhere the best I could find was something around 15C. I wanted as close to freezing as a drink can get before it froze. So unhappy and disappointed.

Hottest guys: Greece and Italy.

Foulest guys: Russia. Go back to my post and remember our driver!

Places we'd go back to and spend more time: Crete, 2 days is nowhere near enough time. Lauterbrunnen, Dubai - in a few years when more things have been built and it's cooler, The Netherlands, Belgium.

I'm never going back to: Turkey.

If I could go back today I'd go to: Munich and see it in snow.

That's all for now. If I think of more I'll come back and add them.

No comments: