Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mykonos

Today is our last day in Mykonos, tomorrow we are off to Santorini for 4 nights. Mykonos is really nice, as is our hotel. We didn't think it would be so nice since we pretty much booked the cheapest place we could find.
Yesterday we went to the beach. The water is gorgeous turquoise colour but it is absolutely freezing. We went in, and it's ok.... once your body goes numb! It is roasting hot in the sun though so you warm up pretty fast once you get out again.

The day before we went to Super Paradise beach which is one of the famous gay beaches. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The water was beautiful (freezing again) but the hills around it - like all of Mykonos and the islands - are rocky without any trees, just a few little bushes. There were some trendy Euros around though. They all play hitball too (wooden raquets, like table tennis raquets, and a tennis ball and hit it back and forth). One couple we were facinated with was this skinny man with a 70s style moustache who wore high cut bright aqua speedos and nothing else. He was playing with a woman who wore a blue camoflage g string and nothing else, and had a curly blond mullet. They just played hitball on the beach like it was the most normal thing in the world. I really wanted to take a picture, but there weren't many people around and it would have been a bit obvious.

We rented a little smart car to get around the island and have got the hang of driving on the right side of the road. I learnt how to drive clutchless manual too, although Chris did scream at me once saying that the engine was going to blow up and to change gears. He told me to put my foot down - so I did!

Last night I fell down some stairs at our hotel and now my left foot is all bruised and swollen and I can't walk. I can only put a teeny bit of pressure on my heel and shuffle/limp along like a snail. Because of this though we can't go into town since I'd have to walk down about a million stairs. In the pics below you can see the town - it's down the hill with all the white buildings.

No comments: